|6:11||But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.|
|6:12||Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.|
|6:13||I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;|
|6:14||That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:|
|6:15||Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;|
|6:16||Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.|
[Introduction] In today’s passage Apostle Paul makes an important impression towards Timothy: “O man of God!” This is a great title. In the Old Testament, such a title was only given to the servants and prophets of God. This spiritual identity of being a man of God isn’t just for Timothy, but for us as well.
There are 4 different meanings hidden in these words, man of God: The man of God who belongs to God, who works for God, who shows God’s power to people, and who gives glory to God. In other word, a man of God is someone who enjoys his identity as a child of God and is able to use the authority in saving souls in order to fulfill his mission and to please God.
I bless in the name of our Lord that all Yewon believers clarify the identity of being the men of God and be used as pillars in the temple of God.
1. The Good Fight of Faith
Paul explains how to live as a man of God using four verbs.
1) Paul mentions that there are things to flee from as a man of God. They are fulfilling our own cravings, following different doctrines other than God's word, being insatiable what you have and falling into temptation and etc. It is important to lead a life of faith with a biblical viewpoint of material and economy.
2) Paul mentions what a man of God should pursue. It is righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, and gentleness. The one who became a righteous man believing Christ Jesus should live a life of godliness. Godliness means taking after God's characteristics. Faith means loyalty of only believing in God and obeying him till you die. Also, you should have love to the extent that you can sacrifice your life for Christ Jesus. And you should have patience to the extent that you keep your faith looking at Christ Jesus, a living hope amidst any adversity or difficulty. Lastly, gentleness means generously embracing others and understanding them. Simply put, the Gospel should be rooted down, imprinted and natured in you.
3) Paul emphasizes the good fight of faith as a God's man. A walk of faith is the sequence of the spiritual fight. You should see that our spiritual fight is not against our flesh and blood but against the dark world and evil spirits. You need to fully wear the full armor of God from head to toe and be strengthened by Jesus Christ.
4) Paul tells Timothy to take hold of the eternal life. You, who became God's child through Jesus Christ, already have the eternal life. In this context, 'take hold of' means 'seize'. In other words, we should enjoy our lives fully without missing the blessings of eternal life. We don't have to be scared because we are already are guaranteed of the eternal life. I bless all believers to become a witness of the covenantal achievement.
2. The Spiritual Fight that We Should Continue
In 1 Timothy 13:14, Apostle Paul emphasizes that as man of God, good fight of faith is not a momentary thing but long term. So we have to fight until the Day of Lord with one heart, whole heart and continuation. Our fights will never stop until that day. Paul refers to God and Christ Jesus at the same time to emphasize the fact that his encouragement is not from a humane thing but from God. God is absolute, He gave a life to all things and He supervises all things. Here, we can find background that helps us continue spiritual fight. First of all, believing God's absolute sovereignty. Second, spreading Jesus Christ who solves all problems in our lives. We should spread the Gospel with one heart, whole heart, and continuation until The Day of Lord. I bless all Yewon believers to live a life of the witness of relaying what you have seen and heard just like the Early Church believers, and a life of never ceasing to teach and preach that only Jesus is the Christ and boldly stand as the pillars of saving souls.
There is the community called